NOTICE OF FACULTY VACANCY
POSITION: Opera Vocal Coach, full-time non-tenure track faculty appointment in Vocal Arts
RANK/SALARY: Assistant or Associate Professor, non-tenure track. Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Boyer College of Music and Dance seeks a vocal coach with professional performance and university teaching experience. Duties include: serve as principal coach for two mainstage operas and opera workshop classes; teach coaching skills class to graduate opera coaching majors; work closely with graduate students in the collaborative piano/opera coaching degree program. Possible additional responsibilities may include teaching courses in diction, operatic literature, collaborative piano/opera coaching, and/or other areas of within the applicant’s expertise.
QUALIFICATIONS: Qualifications should include:
- Master’s degree required; doctorate and/or professional experience preferred
- University teaching experience required
- Coaching experience in a professional opera company and/or university opera program preferred
- Demonstrated ability to play and coach standard operatic repertoire
- Extensive knowledge of and ability to teach English, French, Italian, and German Diction for singers
- Outstanding keyboard and collaborative skills
- Commitment to working effectively with Temple’s diverse population
APPOINTMENT DATE: July 1, 2022
REVIEW OF APPLICATIONS: Begins Immediately and continues until position is filled.
APPLICATION: Email a letter of application and a current curriculum vitae to:
Dr. Paul Rardin, Search Committee Chair
c/o: Dr. Beth Bolton
Please be sure the file name for your application and CV begins with your last name and includes the position name, e.g.: Smith.Temple.VC.App.pdf or Smith.Temple.VC.CV.pdf.
PLEASE DO NOT SEND ADDITIONAL MATERIALS UNTIL REQUESTED.
Prepare to send the following additional materials if requested at a later date:
- 5 confidential letters of recommendation directly from the referee
- 3 additional names of references with phone numbers and e-mail addresses
- Samples of course syllabi
- Examples of published work or links to online recordings of the candidate’s performance work and teaching
COVID-19 vaccinations are required for employment at Temple University, unless granted a religious or medical exemption.
Temple University’s Boyer College of Music and Dance is located on the University’s main campus in the culturally rich and diverse city of Philadelphia. Fall 2021 enrollment included 858 music and dance students—566 undergraduate and 292 graduate students served by 60+ full-time faculty and approximately 100 affiliate faculty. The College offers Bachelor of Music, Master of Music, Master of Music Therapy, DMA in Performance, and PhD degrees in music and BFA, MA, MFA, and PhD degrees in dance.
TEMPLE UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY, AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER.
WOMEN AND MINORITY CANDIDATES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.